Skip to main content

Using ScreenFlow to assemble narrated presentations

One of the easiest ways to add instructor-produced multimedia to an online class is to create a narrated presentation. Adding narration in Powerpoint is relatively easy (though not necessarily easy to do well). The tricky part is creating output that will playback online and does not require the student to download the entire file and open it in Powerpoint.

I have a license for the Mac version of Adobe Captivate 5 and used that for a couple of years to convert Powerpoint presentations with audio narration into videos. That version only produced Flash video, but it is easy enough to convert that to another format for students who are not using Flash (primarily iOS users). The problem with Adobe Captivate is that it never did a very good job converting the Powerpoint files and it is one of the least Mac-like applications I've used. I never enjoyed using it and until I did a search a few weeks ago, I didn't realize that it was supposed to be able to automatically convert a PPT file with audio into a video. Apparently, that feature does not work on the Mac version. I have not tried it on Windows, but maybe it works there. What always seemed strange to me about using Adobe Captivate was that after I imported the PPT file, each slide would have a duration which matched the audio for that slide, but the audio was not available. Each audio file had to be added manually to each slide, and this was where the interface of Captivate was not enjoyable to use. Too many inconsistencies and pop-ups and no option to set a preference to bypass all of the intrusion and just drag and drop the audio and move on to the next one. So while Captivate did the job, I never enjoyed the process and it was time-consuming. And while Captivate has many other features that might be great for creating interactive training and other educational content, I did not make use of those features.

Your Captivate output is no longer available
This is what you see when your Captivate output has expired.

Things changed when I tried the demo version of Captivate 6 recently. Output to HTML 5 was added, so in theory, you could create the video once and export it to both Flash and HTML 5. In practice, that didn't work for me, so I exported each format separately and used two links instead of one. The interface was still difficult to use, and none of the problems that I had with version 5 had been changed, so I was not tempted to upgrade given the cost. However, what I found most irritating about using the demo version was that my output had a time bomb built into it that I was not aware of -- maybe I missed that information somewhere. After some period of time, the files I produced with the demo version no longer worked. Instead of a link or an explanation, there was nothing except the Captivate logo on a black bar. No message, no explanation, nothing to click on. I had no idea what happened the first time I saw this. I don't understand the motivation behind this other than to prevent people from using the demo version over and over, if that is even possible.

The combination of the interface issues and the weird time bomb in the output from the demo version convinced me that I should find another way to do this. I could not find an equivalent on the Mac, but I did find a better solution. ScreenFlow is a screen casting application with a great interface and nice editing capabilities. It's a pleasure to use, and to create the same kind of Flash output I got with Captivate, all I do is extract the images and audio from the PPT file (something I had to do anyway for the audio when using Captivate) and then drag them into the ScreenFlow timeline and extend the images to match the length of the audio for each slide. The entire process was simple and enjoyable. I can produce both Flash and H.264 output very quickly and the best thing was that I already owned ScreenFlow. The $30 upgrade fee to go from ScreenFlow 2 to 4 may be worthwhile, and if it is, that is much less than it would have cost to upgrade to Captivate 6.

Comments

Fiona Memmott said…
All that research, as frustrating as it may have been, finally yielded successful results. I look forward to learning more about ScreenFlow. I just took a class using another online presentation tool called Screencast but it probably doesn't have as many features as ScreenFlow.

Popular posts from this blog

Blackboard Podcasts

I've been searching for podcasts about Blackboard and have come across a few. Some are too site-specific while others could use a little more polish before I would recommend them to others. However, one podcast I did find to be useful and high quality is Teaching with Blackboard by Jason Rhode at Northern Illinois University. Episode 5, posted last week, discusses how to incorporate RSS feeds into Blackboard using Feed2JS , a website and tool for converting an RSS feed to JavaScript which can be copied and pasted into your Blackboard course. This gives you a relatively easy way to add dynamic content to a course. For many instructors, RSS may be a foreign language, but I think if you listen to the five minute podcast, you will learn enough to get the idea. If you want more, Jason's previous podcast covers RSS and podcasting in more detail.

QuickSource Guides to Blackboard

The Resource Network in Harrisonburg, Virginia, publishes fold out guides to various software applications like MS Office, WordPerfect, Adobe Acrobat and more. They have student and instructor guides to BlackBoard for $4.00 each. Prices are lower if you buy in bulk. I got mine yesterday and they look nice and are easy to read. Each one covers the important things you need to know to use Blackboard as a student or instructor. They are also available through Amazon.com for $4.95 each.

Avoiding lost work in Moodle

When students are working in our installation of Moodle, there are some common ways that their work can be lost. Because Moodle doesn't save what you've written until you click Save (assignments) or Post to Forum in Forums, anything that interrupts your connection to Moodle can lead to lost work and frustration. Interruptions include computer problems or network outages or disconnections. If you are writing anything longer than a paragraph,  it's a good idea to use a text editor to do your writing and then copy and paste into Moodle so no matter what happens, you won't lose any of your work. If you combine your use of a text editor with an online backup plan, you'll have a secure backup of all of your work even after the class ends and you can no longer access it (see below). You could use a word processor like Microsoft Word, but you may need to save your work as plain text first to avoid seeing formatting errors when you copy and paste from Word into Moodle. A